Let’s face it, the living room is one of the most important places in a home since its where the family spends the maximum time together. Also, it is the place where your guests come in. Hence starting from your best family time moments to what the outside world thinks of you are all crucially linked to your living room, specifically boiling down to basically two points – how it looks and how comfortable it is.
To achieve both of the above, the most crucial thing is the right furniture! Choosing the right furniture for your living Room in 90% of your Interior Décor done! However, with so many themes, styles and options to choose from, it might be a daunting task. All you need to do is to follow these basic three steps to choosing the right furniture and getting the perfect Living Room Décor!
1. Identify the Focal Point:
The focal point of a living room is that particular spot which begs attention right when you enter the room. The logical first step to choosing the right furniture is to first identifying this focal point since the tip is to place your furniture from and around there.
2. Decide on the Interior Design Theme:
This refers to the interior design theme that your furniture would need to reflect. The three basic themes are:
• Traditional: To achieve the traditional look, you need to choose furniture that looks ornate and elegant. Traditional Furniture are more formal and includes features such as ornately rolled arms, skirted bottoms and overall curved outlines. Material is usually wood while colours usually range from ivory to rich hues.
• Modern / Contemporary: This look consists of furniture that has straight, clean lines and looks very sleek. Usual material includes Metal and glass while colours range from white to any other neutral colour.
• Casual: The casual theme is all about being cozy and comfortable. This includes comfortable seating in bright colours making use of prints, patterns and anything & everything that is casual and creates a friendly ambiance.
3. Choose your furniture:
Now that you know your theme and exactly where to place your furniture, choosing the exact pieces would be child’s play! The various elements of living room furniture are:
• Ottomans and Stools
• Coffee Tables / Side Tables or Accent Table
The secret is to focus on the ‘livable part’ of the décor. Hence go for two Sofas facing each other or one sofa and two swivel chairs facing it to encourage interaction. The swivel chairs along with a few Ottomans and stools here and there creates the comfortable feel as well as can be moved around to give a new look each time. Coffee tables and other occasional tables which are movable also create a congenital atmosphere since you know that there’s always a place nearby to keep a vase, a lamp or merely to keep your drink.
So what are you waiting for? Now that you know exactly how to go about choosing the furniture for your living room…go ahead and get it!