Dining spaces in any home needs special focus in terms of its décor since it’s that special place were your friends and family gather together for meals and bonding. Apart from being very comfortable, the space also needs to reflect a certain character and style. MoBEL tells you all that you need to know about Dining Room Layout Basics.
Dining Room Layout Design – The Basic Measurements
Dining spaces can be either of the two forms – a separate room for dining or a designated area in the living room that’s set up as the dining space. The basic measurement tips are as follows:
- Ideal space to maintain between the dining table and wall or the next piece of furniture, that would make the dining arealook spacious and comfortably set out, is 42 – 48 inches. If space is less, atleast 36 inches needs to be maintained so that people can move in and out of their chairs easily.
- Table space per person required to be maintained for him / her to have the meal comfortably is 24 – 30 inches.
- If you need to seat more number of guests for particular occasions, a better idea is to arrange for having smaller tables around rather than going for a bigger dining table.
Large Dining Room Layout Basics:
Large dining spaces give you more flexibility in terms of the scope of choosing the Interior Décor style you want. Your furniture, their style and sizes, accessories would all depend on the décor style chosen. The layout basics are as follows:
- The first step is to choose the dining room interior style fromTraditional, Modern and contemporary, depending on what suits your remaining home décor the most.
- For the right furniture arrangement, one needs to start by placing the dining table in the centre and then placing all other furniture around it. In case of a separate dining room, place the dining table in the centre of the room, while in case of a combined living & dining room space, center the dining table under a lighting element.
- Popular dining table shapes for large dining rooms are round, oval or rectangular. Once the dining table is placed, arrange all other furniture such as chairs, sideboards, etc around it maintaining the basic measurement tips given above. Avoid having round tables for seating more than 6 people. For a round table with that wide a diameter, it makes conversations pretty inconvenient.
- If you still have space, throw in some more furniture that are either decorative accessories or have storage space for your cutlery, napkins and other dining essentials.
Small Dining room Layout Basics:
Layout options for small dining rooms are not much and the challenge lies in giving a more open and spacious look and appeal to the space. Some tips that one can follow include:
- Have a small rectangular dining table that has an extended removable leaf. This would allow you to keep your dining space open and airy at all times while you can still seat more people by using the leaf extension when you want.
- Seating around the table for daily living should be maximum of 2 – 4. Store your extra dining chairs all throughout the house which you can use when needed for larger gatherings.
- Dining chairs for small dining rooms should always be armless so as to give the space a less crowded feel.
- A round pedestal dining table also looks good in a small dining space since it makes the perimeter of your dining room / space look larger.
- Place and arrange your accessories intelligently that takes up the least amount of space but still looks good. For example, display your favourite china not in a cabinet but on neat wall shelves. Not only will it gain you floor space but would provide a stylish visual interest to your dining space.
So what are you waiting for? Now that you know all the Dining Room Layout basics, design your own dining space the way you want to woo your guests with it!